Wednesday, March 27, 2013

It's been an interesting few months in the year 2013. With the economy so low right now, all my efforts have been focused on making a living in a depressed automotive market, I haven't given my film much thought. Sure I'm taking lots of pictures, getting more familiar with my camera gear and settings, learning about lighting and sound, but not really pushing to get started on the main event, the movie. Lack of funds is the big problem, even bigger than when I started thinking about this movie project. So what can I do? Something! Anything! Just do stuff, that's right, don't sit there fretting about what might happen if the economy picks up. go out and do what you can with what you have. DWYCWWYH for short, lol.

My expectations have changed drastically over the past 6-7 months, from "I can do this" to "I'll never pull this off" to "If I'm careful and apply myself, this might just be great" and back to "This is just too much for a mere mortal like me to do". But have no fear, I'm not throwing in the towel yet. I still plan on pursuing the project, as well as a few side projects too. I just need to keep my priorities in order and schedule my time wisely. Huh, weird, I think that's what we're always supposed to do. Well it's time for me to do it, more.

I'm planning a small trip to NYC with my family in a couple weeks, I want to film something while I'm there. It's a great location with a lot of character, but I don't have a plan, any ideas, or even a clue as to what to shoot. There are plenty of video's with graffiti, buildings, crowds, Madison Square Garden, Central Park, and the list goes on. But what do I want to capture, what's special to me, in my eye's? I guess people, and maybe culture. The great melting pot has lots of both, but there needs to be a reason, a story, behind the captured footage, otherwise it's just pictures. There's lots of pictures already. I want to capture a story. and emotion, the why, the purpose behind the where and how. If my friends and family that I'm traveling with will let me, maybe I can interview some street performers, or a homeless person. Why are they there? We see what they do, and where they do it. But why? Why do they exist in that space, doing what they do?

Well that's my plan I guess. I feel better now with at least an idea in my head. Who knows what will happen, or whether I even get to record anything. But at least I have a goal, and I'll shoot for it. Life waits for no one, we need to just get out there and do something, even if it doesn't turn out the way we wanted. At least we tried, at least we did something. So don't just sit there, get out this week and do something. And next week too. No sense wasting our lives away thinking about what could have happened, we need to make things happen.

1 comment:

  1. How was the filming in NYC? Glad to hear you've got a goal, its been nice following your work.
    -Lynda H

    ReplyDelete